Friday, March 1, 2013

Facts or opinions based on prejudice?

There is this letter going around on Facebook that is supposedly written by a young mother. The content of the letter is about the recent White Paper and Budget 2013 released by the Government.

I agree with some of her points, but there are a few points that are quite "unbalanced" if you think about it carefully. A lot of points used are: to stir emotions, based on emotions or are slanted views due to biasness.

I just want to address some issues I have with that letter. I may not be right about those stuff that I will be writing, but I will try my best to base them on what I have seen, read or know. 

The first point about her friend's boss threatening her (friend) that he can easily replace her with a China worker, well, the MOM is there for a reason. I've had friends who approached MOM and got their problems resolved. We don't know the exact details and the full picture of what happened, it shouldn't have been an illustration provided as a legit point that this situation is a rampant issue at all workplaces in SG due to the influx of foreign workers.

The next point I really have a bone to pick with is her saying this, "a top educational institution in Singapore who rejected our own SINGAPOREAN children and accepted PRC STUDENTS because their parents were able to contribute greatly to the school funds. Is there no cause of fear for my children's future?! Will my children be deprived of a proper education just because I cannot afford to bribe the school?". So, looking at this paragraph, I feel that she is saying only TOP educational institutions are providing "proper" education? I have never heard of any child in SG who has been denied of a proper education because the parents are too poor. If to you, only top institutions can give your child a proper education, then I think you've got it all wrong. Huge insult to all the educators in the other so-called 'non-top' institutions.

Next point - Expats enjoying life, buying private properties; SGreans suffering with owning HDB. Yet another biased point given. This is like saying, because most Singaporeans eat "normal economical food" on a daily basis, rich people living here cannot eat expensive food because it's not fair; even though they've earned their money through legit jobs. Well, I can't find the statistics to show if more Singaporeans own private properties or more foreigners own them, but I am sure the numbers are somewhere on the internet.

And, does building more private properties = less public housing?

Sure, more lands could have been given for BTOs, but from what I see, I don't see BTOs slowing down. The Govt. has been pushing out so many more BTO projects since the previous year. As for cost of HDB flats now, yep, I agree... they are very expensive. But it's like that in a lot of countries too. Look at Hong Kong and Taiwan's urban cities. Of course, I also want it to be much cheaper. No argument with that.

Next, "all major corporations should have child care services like in America''. I don't know if she's been hiding in a hole somewhere, but I know some private child care operators are already in a lot of work places like Biopolis, NUS, NTU, MND, MOE, Polytechnics, Science Park, Hospitals, Changi Business Park, JE's Business Park, Raffles Place etc. All these are business areas/major workplaces right? The Govt's already encouraging them to expand their businesses, even Govt-related operators like NTUC and PCF are also opening more centres. This way, more workplaces would have childcare centres eventually. Is she expecting the centres to pop up in all workplaces magically? A lot of progress and expansion require time, money and effort by a lot of parties involved. Be patient.

Regarding the point about the MP's comment on protecting our nation "for foreigners". Did you just see the print-screen provided by the opps supporters? Did you read/listen to his full speech? If anything, I just think a lot of them need to learn to write better speeches to express their thoughts more coherently to avoid misunderstandings.

Also, last point, if her friend is in such dire state, she can always get help from NGOs, CDCs, etc. I am sure, very sure, she would get the help that she and her family need. And yes, I agree, only people like her friend has the right to say if 1k is enough to "survive" and own a HDB flat with all the necessary Govt aids (that point made by the MP was presented really poorly, he definitely wasn't saying everyone should remain "poor" and make do with it, but it was somehow interpreted that way by most people). People struggling to cope, should not try to be "heroic" about their situation. Seek help! If not for themselves, at least for their family. If her friends care, help her to get help from relevant organisations. Not look at her daily struggles and just complain that "nobody" (READ: Govt) is helping her. Hello? You know about the situation, raise the alarm! YOU can be the one to take the first step and give her a helping hand - by getting help for her and her family.

Sigh.

There are things we will often say in the heat of the moment. But, don't mislead others with your own biasness. People should also be more discerning and expect claims to be backed with up facts before they believe all the things they hear. I am biased, I'd admit that.

However, I will also get upset if some policies/changes/ideas given by the Govt are really ridiculous, unfair or ill-planned too. I also know it's very important to be level-headed and to base what we know on facts and not rumours/prejudice. I always try my best to be neutral and think about things they say or do.

That's something everyone should learn and practise in view of the current political atmosphere in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment